W Grade Policy

To avoid schedule changes after the official registration period, students are encouraged to plan each semester’s course work in consultation with academic advisers. Any schedule changes should be made as soon as possible after the beginning of classes.

Deadlines for when students may drop courses without receiving a grade of “W” are available on the Registration Calendar. Additional deadlines are listed for when students may add courses . A “W” grade will be entered on a student’s record for any course dropped between the deadline for dropping courses without receiving a grade of “W” and the final date for resigning from the University and/or dropping courses. Students should consult the academic calendar maintained by the University Registrar to determine deadlines each semester.

“W” grades do not affect a student’s GPA; however, an excessive number reflects negatively on a student’s record and involves substantial cost by way of tuition, books, room and board, and lost opportunities. A large number of “W” grades may make it difficult for a student to graduate on time because the recommended curricular paths typically assume that students will complete approximately 15 credit hours per semester.

Students are allowed a maximum of 10 course withdrawals during their academic career. Withdrawals cannot exceed this number unless authorized by the dean of the student’s college, in which case the student must meet with an academic advisor to discuss progress toward the degree. 

“W” grades earned via the following methods do not count in the number of drops permitted:

  • Resignation from the university.
  • Courses dropped during the summer term or wintersession.
  • Courses offered through the Division of Continuing Education that students drop.

Frequently Asked Questions

All undergraduates, except those not regularly admitted (curriculum codes ADVSP, BRCC, CCUR, CCURM, ELALT, ENGRP, EXT, NMSU, NORAD, PLUS, SCOOP, SEALT and SU), must comply with the policy.

Yes, W grades previously earned count toward the maximum of 10 withdrawals.

Yes, because W grades received as the result of resigning are not counted in the number of W grades you are allowed.



If you drop linked sections, they will be counted as only one W used.