Career & Major Resources for Incoming Students
Career decision making is an important first step for all incoming students. After exploring career options, you will feel more confident choosing a major, attending orientation, and scheduling courses each semester. The LSU Olinde Career Center offers a variety of resources for discovering interests, exploring major and career options, and identifying next steps for achieving career goals. We have outlined a few resources below for recently accepted LSU students.
Before Attending Orientation
Congratulations on your acceptance! To be well-prepared for major and scheduling conversations you will encounter at orientation, all students are encouraged to take the following steps:
- Consider registering for Career Kick-start, LSU’s one-day summer workshop to kick start your career planning before classes begin. Registration can be found at the bottom of this webpage.
- Take the Focus-2, a free career assessment that will link you to LSU majors, based on your interests. Login instructions are below.
- Explore “What Can I Do with This Major” and other career and major resources listed below.
Take the free, online FOCUS-2 assessment*
This online, interactive career and education planning system combines self-assessment, career exploration, and decision making into one comprehensive program. It will help you map out a career path and select the right LSU major to support your career goals. FOCUS-2:
- Identifies the major areas of study that match student assessment results.
- Integrates the results of student interests, personality, values and skills assessments.
- Helps students narrow results to plan their education and career
- Stores each student's results in an online Student Portfolio.
To take this free assessment: Click “REGISTER” on the FOCUS-2 page and create your FOCUS-2 account. You must enter the access code "tigers" and type your LSU email address as your Username, including "@lsu.edu" (@tigers.lsu.edu).
*The FOCUS-2 assessment will be discussed at Undeclared orientation sessions.
The following resources are a great first step for career and major exploration:
- Four-Year Career Plan - Use this helpful guide to get your career on track from the start with tips and tasks for each year in college.
- What Can I Do With This Major? Whether exploring multiple majors or searching for information about your chosen field, this site will help you connect majors to careers.
- O*NET Online - This website contains detailed descriptions of the world of work helpful in exploring careers.
Review additional career decision making and choosing a major resources.
Handshake personalizes career recommendations based on your interests and network, helping you discover new opportunities, companies, on-campus events— and build a meaningful career. Incoming students for Fall 2018 will have accounts created for them after registering for classes. After this date, students can visit the Handshake website, or the Handshake Jobs & Careers app to login using their LSU paws ID and password.
Career Kick-start Workshop
Career Kickstart is a career/major exploration workshop for incoming students. This one-day workshop will equip you with information, insights, and tools to guide the career and major-decision making the process.
2019 Session Details
Choose from: Thursday, July 11, from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. or Friday, July 26, from
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: LSU Olinde Career Center Classroom, 258J Student Union
Cost: $50, charged to the student's fee bill, lunch and course materials provided