Parent & Family Programs Monthly Updates
Below are LSU Olinde Career Center excerpts from the monthly Parent & Family Programs Newsletter.
As we glide into summer, here are questions to ask your student…
Got a Job?
With exams behind them, your student can finally relax and focus on enjoying some fun in the sun. Summer offers career opportunities, too, so whether they have already secured a summer job or internship or are just starting to look, here are some tips to make summer productive as well as fun:
- Find jobs postings in Handshake, the online career platform.
- Get the most from summer free time to discover tips and tactics for the job search.
- Schedule Informational interviews and practice networking. Get tips on informational interviewing.
Need help getting there?
Your student may benefit from networking with your friends and acquaintances in industries of interest. Why not introduce them? After all, gainful employment at graduation is a pretty sweet goal!
In addition, the LSU Olinde Career Center resources and services can help:
- Our Student Career Guide is a source for all things career including: résumés, how to find a job, how to make networking fun, a list of informational interview questions and much more.
- It’s cool in here! We are open all summer. If your student is in the area, they can call to schedule a personal appointment. What better time is there than summer to develop a career strategy, find the right major or choose a career goal or polish job search skills?
- Out of town this summer? No problem! Contacts us for a phone appointment.
- Call 225-578-2162 to schedule.
Check out our resources and services online at lsu.edu/careercenter or 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or email@example.com.
We hope you and your students enjoy a safe, fun and productive summer!
With the academic year in the rear-view mirror, now is a great time for your student to take stock of their year.
For continuing students: How did they do? Are they questioning their career choice or major? How can they use the summer to explore their future or gain valuable experience?
For graduating students: Have they secured a job or acceptance to graduate school? How can they make the most of their last few weeks on campus for connecting to their future career? Graduating students are strongly encouraged to take the Graduating Student Survey by logging in to Handshake. This survey helps the university and our office better serve students and track career success.
The LSU Olinde Career Center offers a wide range of resources and services for all students, many of which are online and all are available throughout the summer. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Career assessments help students discover careers that match their unique skills, interests and personality,
and point toward college majors that prepare them for these fields.
What Can I Do with This Major demonstrates a wide range of options in each academic field.
- Handshake is a one-stop treasure trove of job postings, employer contacts, company information, schedule of events and more. Every LSU student is provided a free account.
- The Student Career Guide contains information about “all things career” from career discovery to résumé writing guidance, job search tips and strategies for success. It also contains information for students considering or applying to graduate or professional school.
- Appointments are available throughout the summer and certain appointments can be conducted by phone for those who are leaving the Baton Rouge area. Students are encouraged to meet with a career counselor or career specialist to discuss where they are on the Four Year Career Plan and what next steps will lead to success.
- Networking with family members, neighbors and friends may be surprisingly helpful in linking your student to professionals to learn more about fields of interest. Networking leads to industry and career knowledge and confidence and may open the door to job opportunities, as well. Just ask!
Whatever stage of career development your student is currently in, we are here to help them with expert advising and counseling. Investing time this summer in career exploration and preparation will pay off in career confidence and future rewards.
The school year is almost over and you can help your student take steps now toward their career success.
Is your student stressed about scheduling courses for fall and summer? Students who have not yet chosen a major or are struggling in a major that is not a good fit will benefit from taking steps now to set appropriate career goals. With a goal in view, students are better motivated to work harder to achieve success. Studies confirm that Grade Point Average (GPA) is related to clear career goals.
Career Coaching and Assessments
The LSU Olinde Career Center offers trained and licensed career counselors who help students one-on-one to focus their decision-making efforts to find the best fit in careers as well as academic majors. Career Assessments can be beneficial in the process, and occupational information can help complete the picture. These resources and many more including “What Can I Do with This Major” are available in our center.
Students who would enjoy a group learning format are invited to attend the Major Mining Workshop, which introduces students to our resources and how to select a major that fits. The workshops will be offered on April 3 and 4 from 3 - 4 p.m. in 129 Himes Hall.
Summer Jobs and Internships
Students can also explore summer jobs and internships that can turn this summer into a great career experience. Jobs and internships can be found in Handshake and staff are also able to help students find opportunities to expand their skills related to career goals. The last career fair of the semester, Opportunity Knocks on April 5, brings over 60 employers to campus to recruit interns for the summer.
If your student is near graduation without a job or grad school plan, job search resources and services are located on our website and staff can also assist students with job search strategy sessions, resume critiques, mock interviews and more as well as graduate or professional school assistance. Additionally, encourage your student to attend the final recruiting event of the season, Opportunity Knocks Career Fair on April 5.
For more information about the LSU Olinde Career Center and our resources and services, please explore our website.
With spring course scheduling just around the corner, it’s time to assess and plan for the future. Is you student doing well in their major? Are they enjoying what they are learning? Does this major still seem a good fit? Can they answer the question, “What career options are you exploring?”
Students have many options associated with their major, but many do not take the time to set goals and take steps to achieve them.
Here is a road map to career success:
- Meet with a career counselor, coach or advisor to explore options and set goals
- Take career assessments to learn more about themselves and careers that offer a good fit
- Activate their Handshake account to see the array of networking events and internship postings
- Create a resume and stop by the Olinde Career Center for a 10-minute walk-in resume review
- Attend a Major Mining Workshop
- Consider summer plans and apply for jobs and internships of interest in Handshake. Most internships are filled by the end of March!
The Career Expo is just around the corner with over 200 employers attending in hopes of recruiting LSU Tigers for internships and full time professional positions!
Learn more about the event and how students can prepare:
- Career Expo Week includes a one-day Career Expo for students of all majors on Feb. 13, and networking receptions for engineering and business students on Feb. 12 and Feb. 13 respectively.
- Students can research companies they want to network with prior to the events in their Handshake account under the Events tab.
- The LSU Olinde Career Center is hosting several workshops and presentations to get students prepared for Career Expo Week:
February 5: Geaux Get Hired Workshop
Put your best foot forward at Expo with this workshop focused on résumés, your elevator pitch, and how to work the Expo!
Two sessions offered; 12-1:30 p.m. and 4:30-6 p.m. in the Career Center Classroom, 256J LSU Student Union.
February 6: Expo Prep Workshop
Get tips on how to make the most of Expo, including tips on networking and your elevator pitch.
4:30 - 6 p.m., PFT 1202
February 7: Résumé Workshop
5 - 6:30 p.m., PFT 1202
Resume writing tips are also available.
February 4-12: Expo Walk In Hours
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. in 158 LSU Student Union (across from the ATMs).
Welcome to 2019! With the new year upon us, please remind your student that taking small steps toward their career this semester will lead to success at graduation and beyond. We offer students a fresh approach with the following eight Career Resolutions for spring 2019:
- I will start fresh by reviewing the Four-Year Career Plan in January to ensure I am taking all the right actions to succeed
- I will explore the networking events offered and prepare for and research organizations attending the Career Expo being held on February 13 and other events and attend Suit Up, if my wardrobe needs a professional upgrade.
- I will take or review my Career Assessments offered by the LSU Olinde Career Center to crystallize my career options
- I will network with professionals in my field of interest to confirm that the field is a good fit
- I will start now to find a summer job or internship related to my field to gain professional experience
- I will write a resume and schedule an appointment for a resume review
- I will upload my resume into the Handshake system
- I will register for LHRD 3331, Strategic Career Planning, a 3-credit elective course designed to guide students through the comprehensive system of career choice and job search skills development
Please encourage your student to take charge of their future by fulfilling their New Year’s Career Resolutions!
We at the LSU Olinde Career Center wish much happiness and success in 2019. We are open during the Winter Break and available for student appointments and services. Check out the resources and services the LSU Olinde Career Center has to offer on our website or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.