The Master of Arts in the Liberal Arts (MALA) program is a graduate-level MA-granting interdisciplinary program administered by the College of Humanities & Social Sciences. It is a broad, interdisciplinary program of part-time or full-time graduate study that integrates and expands the student’s knowledge and awareness and that is geared toward the student’s interests.
The Mission of the MALA Program is
- to provide graduate-level opportunities for students to pursue studies not provided by traditional department programs;
- to encourage non-traditional students (especially working adults) to pursue graduate-level professional and/or personal enhancement;
- to serve as an incubator for programs of study not currently formally created;
- to provide an opportunity for students to reestablish their academic careers after professional or personal hiatus in a manner suited to their uniquely developed interests as well as time constraints.
In support of this mission, the MALA program embraces the following broad goals:
- To encourage independent-minded students to pursue graduate-level interdisciplinary programs of study.
- To provide academic opportunities at the Master’s level not provided by discipline-specific degree programs within the university.
- To encourage interdisciplinary research and studies.
- To offer instructional venues to exhibit and develop interdisciplinary expertise among LSU’s faculty and to have that expertise shared with students.