The graduation process generally begins the semester before you intend to graduate, as required forms are due very early the semester you will graduate. Consult the academic calendar and the Graduate School calendar for detailed due dates.
The Spend Authorization must be completed and routed for approval prior to travel by university employees including graduate and undergraduate student workers. Instructions are on the Workday Employee webpage. Spend Authorizations are returned if you do not follow the instructions. Here are some of the most common reasons for returns:
- Description - enter the Business Travel Departure Date and Return Destination(s) in the format of City, Sate to City, State (Country)
- Business Purpose - select "Travel - Conference" if you are attending any kind of meeting.
- "Travel - Research" is only if you are going somewhere to perform research.
- "Travel - Field" is for field trips or field work
- Justification - write a detailed purpose of travel - To present a paper "Lots of Important Science Words" at the PSE Conference
You are not covered by LSU insurance if your Spend Authorization is not approved by your supervisor before your travel. Or if you haven't completed the annual Authorization and Driving History Form (da2054) and the Defensive Driving course every 3 years.
An AS292-a: Employee Spend Authorization Attachment is only required for the following 3 reasons:
- Personal Travel
- Foreign Travel
- Travel Greater than 30 days
State Contract Rates for meals and lodging are listed in the LSU Pocket Travel Guide. For in-state travel, Enterprise Rent-A-Car is the state Contract vendor and use is mandatory. For out-of-state travel, Enterprise, Hertz and National are the state contract vendors and use is mandatory. It is at the traveler's discretion which rental company is utilized. Please refer to the Travel website for in-state and out-of-state contract rates and the corporate discount numbers. The corporate discount number must be used to obtain the contract rates and get LSU insurance. University guests are not required to use a state contract car rental vendor, but are encouraged to do so since the contract includes CDW and liability insurance.
Expense Reports should be created per business trip and reflect all travel expenses regardless if personal funds or LaCarte card was used. You must link your Spend Authorization to the Expense Report. Your Spend Authorization will only show in the drop down box if it has been approved by Travel. If the Spend Authoriation is not available you will have to correct any problems before you can complete your Expense Report. Instructions on how to correctly fill out the Expense Report is available on the Workday Employee webpage. Here are some of the common reasons for returned Expense Reports:
- Business Purpose - drives the routing of the expense report to the correct Expense Partner in Travel. If the incorrect Business Purpose is selected, the expense report will be routed to the incorrect Expense Partner and it will have to be sent back. See above in Spend Authorization for options.
- Memo - type the following: Departure Date - Return Date, Destination(s), Detailed Purpose of Travel (Example: 1/2/17 - 1/3/17, Destin, FL, To present a paper "Lots of Important Science Words" at the PSE Conference (conference dates)
Workday no longer requires that lodging be itemized unless:
- Expense needs to be charged to multiple accounts.
- Lodging cost include other expenses (i.e. internet, Parking or Room Service, etc)
- Portion of the expense is considered personal. See Disallowed Expenses Job Aid for more information.
Please visit the Travel website for BR Airport Parking Certificate, New Orleans Airport Park n'Fly booking, and High Risk Travel.
- Defensive Driving Course - Any employee, full or part-time, that drives a University vehicle must complete the online driver safety class every 3 years. Please note: Students that are not employed by the University are not authorized to operate University owned or rented vehicles.
- DA2054 - Authorization and Driving History Form - Complete every year
- Student Accident and Travel Insurance
Vendor Enrollment form - sign up for Foundation reimbursement