UCGE - University Council on Gender Equity
The mission of the University Council on Gender Equity is to address gender inequity at LSU by leveraging the knowledge, expertise, and resources of council members to develop and revise policies, procedures, and protocols on campus.
- Action: Monitoring, developing, implementing and revising polices, procedures, and protocols that ensure equity in the LSU Community.
- Inclusion: Including the diverse needs of all university constituents.
- Advocacy: Using knowledge-based expertise to promote equity.
- Equity: Ensuring the greatest degree of parity is achieved.
- Transparency: Ensuring our actions and procedures are clear and freely available to the university community.
- Support: Supporting all issues within our scope of work regardless of their controversial nature.
UCGE has existed for over 10 years as a standing body under various names such as the Commission on the Status of Women and the University Council on Women. Around 2013, the former Interim Vice Provost for Diversity, worked to expand the focus to look more broadly at issues that intersect with gender at LSU. This prompted the name change to the University Council on Gender Equity (UCGE). The council is a comprised of administrators, faculty, staff, and students (graduate and undergraduate) and addresses gender equity issues on campus through research, programming, assessments, and provides recommendations for practice and policies on campus. UCGE has worked on projects such as a study on dependent care in which a white paper was produced, stop the tenure clock, the Closing the Gap lecture series, reviewing policies and practices related to pregnancy and parenting, and mental health support for University employees.
Members of the committee are selected based on recommendations of community members, work they are involved in on campus, or general interest in the council. Each member serves a 3 year term and be an active participant in subcommittee work and for general meetings. If you are interested in joining the committee or have a recommendation, please share it with us on our Member Suggestions for UCGE form.
If you are have additional question or want to learn more about the UCGE, you can email Randa Lopez Morgan, the UCGE chair, at email@example.com.