Department Request for Interpreter, Transliterator or Captionist
Sign Language Interpreter
A person trained in translating between a spoken and a signed language. This usually means someone who interprets what is being said and signs it for someone who can't hear, but understands sign.
Cued Speech Transliterator
A person uses Cued Speech to convey the sounds that make the words someone is saying so that another person (who understands Cued Speech) can understand word for word what was being said in the same language in which it was said.
A person provides instant translation of spoken English into written English text, which is displayed electronically for the viewer to read in real-time (e.g. closed captioning / subtitles).
Departments within LSU can request the use of Sign Language Interpreters, Cued Speed Transliterators, or Real-Time Captionists for events or activities. Based on availability, the LSU Disability Services office may be available to assist as follows:
- All requests for services should be scheduled through the Disability Services office
at least 3 business days in advance of the event. Major events, such as conferences or multiple day events,
and all formal assignments must be requested a minimum of 2 weeks in advance.
- Should it become necessary to cancel your request, please do so in writing at least
24 hours in advance. Any cancellation less than 24 hours in advance will be billed for the
full amount. To cancel previously requested services, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The minimum time increment for the billing of services is 1.5 hours.
- All “formal” assignments and those more than 1.5 hours in duration require TWO individuals
to provide the service. As a result, you will be billed for the time of both individuals.
Examples of “formal” assignments are: commencements, award ceremonies, stage productions,
- You may request a particular LSU interpreter/captionist by name if you prefer. We
will attempt to provide you the specific individual you requested whenever possible.
- The hourly rate variance is based upon the Facilitator’s certification and experience and is determined by the Disability Services office. Rates per hour range between $25-$40 (+ fringe benefits)