ASAP Courier Service
Instructions for Submitting Diagnostic Specimens to the Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (LADDL) using the ASAP Courier Service
Note: A diagnostic specimen is defined as any human or animal material including, but not limited to, excreta, blood and its components, tissue and tissue fluids collected for the purposes of diagnosis, but excluding live infected animals (defined by WHO). LADDL will only receive specimens from animal origin.
- Please ensure that diagnostic specimen sent to LADDL for testing and certification
are appropriately collected, prepared, identified, packed, and sent along with appropriate
- Types of specimen: Whole blood, plasma, serum, swabs (nasal, uterine, etc.), biopsies and necropsies in a jar (10% buffered formalin), small animals and birds for necropsies and cremations.
- When submitting blood or serum samples, it is important to provide adequate sample volume for testing and to prevent hemolysis, spoilage, or breaking of the sample tubes.
- Please make sure to use the correct blood collection tube for whole blood and plasma (purple [EDTA], green [heparin] or yellow [sodium citrate] tubes), and serum (red top).
- Our website provides detailed specimen guides. Please go to Policies & Guidelines above.
- Syringes with the needles are not acceptable.
- Pack specimens in leak-proof containers or bags. Please make sure glass tubes are protected from breakage during transport. It is preferable to keep the tubes upright in a rack.
- Please ensure there is no leakage or visible contamination outside the specimen container.
- All specimens must be labeled with client name (veterinarian or veterinary practice name), patient name or animal specific identification.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Include a completed LADDL submission form for each clinical specimen (available online under Forms above) and ensure the specimen and its submission form are kept together and separated from other specimens (if you are submitting multiple specimens from different cases).
- Specimens in 10% formalin must be submitted at room temperature (15 - 30°C).
- Unless specified, keep all other diagnostic specimens (2 to 10°C) until pickup. The courier shall provide cooler with ice for pick-up and transport of diagnostic specimens.
- How to schedule a free pickup
- Call LADDL at 225-578-9778 (Receiving Office) or 225-578-9777 (Business Office) before 9:30 a.m.
- Please make sure the specimens are ready to be picked when scheduling the pickup.
- ASAP Courier Service member will pick up the specimen from your clinic at or before 11:30 am.
- Samples will be delivered to LADDL by noon and will be processed for testing on the same day.
- Afternoon courier service can be arranged upon request (call before 2:00 PM) and those specimens will be tested the following business day.
- If you have any questions or complaints about the courier service, please call LADDL receiving office (225-578-9778) or business office (225-578-9777).