The Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College (HSSRC), located in Residential College One - North Hall, is open to first-year students of all majors in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences. The HSSRC focuses on first year student success.
In addition to being a part of the on campus community and Residential College Complex community, students in the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College also benefit from these unique opportunities provided in this living-learning community:
- Live and take classes, sometimes in the res halls in the community, with their peers in HSSRC, creating a smaller network within the larger LSU campus
- Connect with faculty mentors to help guide students through their freshman year
- Have priority scheduling for some courses
- Network with faculty members and college administrators
- Access to in-community tutoring and faculty office hours
- Learn about different career opportunities within each major offered
Requirements and Eligibility
To participate in the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College in Residential College One - North Hall, students must:
- Be a first-year student with a declared major in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences, including pre-law
- Enroll in at least two courses offered through HSSRC in both the fall and spring semesters
- In the Fall semester, all HSSRC students will be required to take HSS 1000: Introduction to Research, a one-hour student success seminar.
- In the Spring semester, all HSSRC students will be required to take HSS 1001: Introduction to Careers, a one-hour seminar that helps students link their chosen major to a career pathway.
- For scheduling assistance, contact HSSRC Advisor Jax Jeffries
- See the complete list of requirements.
Application and Room Assignments
- Eligible students should select the Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College as their housing preference on the housing application.
- Residential College staff reviews the applications for eligibility as they are received and notifies residents of their acceptance into the program throughout the spring.
- HSSRC residents can search for potential roommates in the online housing portal in March and will begin making room selections in May.
- For housing application and room assignment information, please contact Housing at 225-578-8663.
- For Humanities & Social Sciences Residential College eligibility information, please contact HSSRC staff listed below.
Residential College One - North Hall
Residential College One - North Hall provides everything students need to be successful: offices where Humanities & Social Sciences faculty advisors hold office hours, a classroom, multiple group and individual study spaces, outdoor courtyards, and modern two-student, suite-bathroom style rooms in a great location on the west side of campus.