The Visual & Performing Arts Residential College (VPARC) is the newest residential college on campus for first-year students. As a collaborative venture between the College of Art + Design and the College of Music & Dramatic Arts, VPARC joins together musicians, actors, designers, architects, composers, technicians, scholars and arts administrators in a creative living-learning environment in Broussard Hall that fosters lifelong connections through the arts and beyond.
In addition to being a part of the on campus community and Broussard Hall community, students in the Visual & Performing Arts Residential College also benefit from these unique opportunities provided in this living-learning community:
- Live and take classes, sometimes in the res halls in the community, with their peers in VPARC, creating a smaller network within the larger LSU campus
- Have access to priority course scheduling
- Enjoy a unique emphasis on uniting academics with creative practice using installation and performance spaces on site for use by residents performance and exhibition spaces in Broussard Hall that will feature innovative student work
- Network with faculty members, local artisans, industry professionals, and college administrator to connect students with artists and professionals both locally and nationally in order to foster networking skills
- Understand the position of the artist, scholar, and designer in both local and global contexts with an emphasis on arts advocacy, civic practice, and diverse perspectives
- Examine the necessity for creative and critical thinking, and the process of collaboration as characteristics of global citizenship
- Have access to one-on-one mentorship from faculty to help residents adjust socially, culturally, and educationally to the university environment
Requirements and Eligibility
To participate in the Visual & Performing Arts Residential College in Broussard Hall, students must:
- Be a first-year student with a declared major in the College of Art + Design or College of Music & Dramatic Arts
- Enroll in at least two courses offered through VPARC in both the fall and spring semesters
For scheduling assistance students should contact the academic counselor in the academic college associated with their declared major listed below.
College of Music & Dramatic Arts: Amy Smith at email@example.com or 225-578-6047
College of Art + Design: Erin Schell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 225-578-5498
- See the complete list of requirements here.
Application and Room Assignments
- Eligible students should select the Visual & Performing Arts Residential College as their housing preference on the housing application.
- Residential College staff reviews the applications for eligibility as they are received and notifies residents of their acceptance into the program throughout the spring.
- VPARC residents can search for potential roommates in the online housing portal in March and will begin making room selections in May.
- For housing application and room assignment information, please contact Res Life at 225-578-8663.
- For Visual & Performing Arts Residential College eligibility information, please contact VPARC staff listed below.
Broussard Hall provides everything students need to be successful: offices where faculty advisors hold office hours, classrooms in the building, multiple study spaces, beautiful courtyard, large rec room, and large carpeted student rooms in a great location on the west side of campus. It has the capability to house more than 100 students with similar interests.