Check In & Check Out
View the Move-in Day page for full details of the fall move in process and timeline.
Residence halls close at 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 8, 2018.
You are expected to vacate your room within 24 hours of your last exam, or by 8 p.m. on December 8, whichever comes first.
- If you have a late final exam or extenuating travel arrangements, you may request
an extension to remain in your room until 9 a.m. on Sunday, December 9 2018. E-mail
your community’s Residence Life Coordinator to request an extension by noon on Friday, November 20, 2018.
- Graduating seniors living in the residence halls can request to stay through Saturday, December 15, 2018, but will be required to relocate to a designated building. Any graduating senior wanting to request break housing should email email@example.com by December 3, 2018 at noon.
If you are returning to on-campus housing for the spring 2019 semester, you may leave belongings in your room over the winter break, but be sure to take everything you could need over the break. You will not have access to the building until the halls reopen in January. Your RA will give you specific instructions on how to prep your room for winter break (thaw out refrigerator, set temperature, etc.).
- Note that rooms are not cleaned by our staff over the break. Staff only enters the room to conduct bi-annual pest control or to complete maintenance work.
- Your fall room assignment automatically rolls over for spring 2019.
East Campus Apartments, West Campus Apartments & Nicholson Gateway Apartments
The apartments remain open during the winter break. You may continue to stay in your apartment during the winter break if you are returning for the spring 2019 semester.
If you are not returning to campus housing for the spring semester, you must follow the instructions below to cancel your housing contract and remove all belongings.
Your fall apartment assignment automatically rolls over for spring 2019.
Graduating seniors living in ECA, WCA and NGW can request to stay through Saturday, December 15, 2018, but must request break housing by December 3, 2018 at noon.
Not Returning to On-Campus Housing
If you are not returning to on-campus housing for the spring semester, you must officially cancel your contract with Residential Life staff in Grace King Hall, preferably by December 1, and complete a check out with your community staff.
- First cancel your contract with Res Life staff in Grace King Hall, then schedule an
appointment with your Resident Assistant (RA), remove your belongings, and turn in
your keys by Saturday, December 8, 2018, at 8:00 p.m. Failure to schedule a check-out
appointment with your RA and/or be present for your check-out may result in additional
charges posted to your account.
- If you cancel your contract after December 8, 2018, you must contact us and arrange a set date/time to remove your belongings from your room to avoid penalties.
If you cancel your housing contract for the spring semester, you will automatically be charged a spring semester rent penalty (75% of the lowest-priced room offered) in accordance with the Academic Year Contract. The rent penalty will be included on your spring 2019 fee bill and must be paid before your transcripts will be released.
- The rent penalty can be reversed at the time of cancellation if you are (1) transferring
to another university, (2) graduating, or (3) participating in a COOP or exchange
program for spring. Proper documentation must be furnished to staff in Grace King
Hall at the time you cancel your spring reservation to have the rent penalty reversed
at that time.
- If you cancel your spring housing and are not enrolled at LSU for the spring semester, the rent penalty will be removed from your account after the spring semester’s 14th day of class.
Residence halls reopen to all returning students on Sunday, January 6, 2019, at 10 a.m.
- Staff is available to check you in between 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. January 6-8, 2019.
- Checking in outside of these days and times is allowed, however there will be a wait time.
- Students currently living in Highland Hall and Louise Garig Hall can make the move to Evangeline Hall on January 5, 2019, from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Check your email and attend community meetings for details.
Apartments remain open over the break for students returning for the spring 2019 semester.
- All apartment residents must re-check in at your community’s front desk to avoid a lapse in key access to your apartment. Simply go to your front desk to have your key programmed between 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. January 6-8, 2019.
Your room assignment is rolled over from the fall and is held until 11:59 p.m. on January 9, 2019. Notify the Department of Residential Life if you need to arrive later than January 9, otherwise your room assignment and contract will be canceled and you will automatically be charged a spring semester rent penalty in accordance with the housing Academic Year Contract.
Residence Halls, WCA and ECA
Residence halls, WCA and ECA close for the year on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at 8 p.m.
All residents must officially check out within 24 hours of your last final, or by 8 p.m. on May 4, whichever comes first.
- Follow instructions given by your in-hall staff. Failure to complete the check out process will result in charges.
- Note that after you complete the check out walk through with your RA and approve your room's condition report, a professional staff member will also inspect the room to confirm its condition before entering any charges to your account.
- If you have a late final exam or extenuating circumstances and need an extension to stay until Sunday at 9 a.m., you must email your community’s Residence Life Coordinator for approval. All requests must be received by Friday, May 3, 2019, at noon. Please note that any extension in stay may not be in your current assignment. Most students will be relocated to intersession housing.
- As a courtesy, graduating seniors who need an extension are able to stay on-campus through commencement, but must be pre-approved to do so, and may have to move to an interim space on campus.
- Students needing spring-to-summer options should come to Grace King Hall to discuss interim housing accommodations.
Nicholson Gateway Apartments
Residents with a 12-month lease do not check out in May. Look for instructions on how and when to have your LSU Tiger Card programmed for continued access to your apartment.
Residents with 9.5-month leases check out at the end of May 2019.
- Follow instructions given by your in-hall staff. Failure to complete the check out
process will result in charges.
Note that after you complete the check out walk through with your RA and approve your room's condition report, a professional staff member will also inspect the room to confirm its condition before entering any charges to your account.
More details coming soon.