Frequently Asked Questions


LSU Department of Residential Life
99 Grace King Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803- 0106

225-578-8663 phone
225-578-5576 fax

Monday – Friday
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Located on campus in the Horseshoe Community, at the corner of Highland Road and South Campus



Applying for Housing 



I submitted by enrollment deposit fee, so do I need to do housing too?

Yes, the on-campus housing contract is separate from the enrollment deposit fee. Building and room assignments are based on the date the housing contract is submitted.


When is it too late to apply for housing?

It is never too late to apply for housing. However, we encourage students to apply early rather than later. 


What should I do if I apply for housing and then change my mind?

You must submit any housing cancellation at Review the refund schedule here, and get more details of refunds/fees in the housing contract. Current students may come in person to Grace King Hall to speak with a staff member about canceling housing.

Back to Top



First-Year Housing Expectation

Is it mandatory to live in the residence halls my first year at LSU?

Beginning with the freshman class of 2018, all LSU first-year, full-time students are expected to live on campus in housing operated by the LSU Department of Residential Life. (See exceptions at With the completion of the Nicholson Gateway Development, the university is proud to be able to offer guaranteed housing to every freshman offered admission and wanting to attend LSU. We now have space enough to meet demand, and now every student can benefit from the benefits of on-campus housing. Students who live on campus consistently have higher GPAs, have a higher percentage of students that return to LSU for their second year (retention rate), have higher graduation rates, and have more opportunities to become part of the LSU community.


Why did LSU just decide to do this?

LSU has been working toward this since 2008, when the Board of Supervisors first approved an on-campus housing expectation. However, at the time, we did not have the inventory available to meet current student demand. Now that the university has several new residence halls coming on-line, we are happy to be able to provide the on-campus housing experience to every incoming freshman.


What is a "full time, first-year student"? 

A first-year student at Louisiana State University is defined as a student who has graduated from high school and has not attempted any college coursework. Dual enrollment courses do not qualify as college coursework.


Is housing guaranteed for first-year students?

The university is proud to offer guaranteed housing to every freshman offered admission and wanting to attend LSU. 

If I live on campus, how long must I stay there?

Students sign an academic-year contract. First-year students who begin classes in the summer or fall term must reside on campus for the fall and spring semesters. First-year students who begin classes in the spring are required to reside on campus for the spring semester only. 


What does my child get from living on campus vs. off campus?

Living on campus not only provides incredible academic benefits (increased GPA, retention and graduation rates), but it also offers an immediate opportunity for your student to make new friends and build a community, which eases the transition between high school and college. Living on campus also provides easy access to faculty members, some of whom actually live in residence halls and are available to assist your student 24/7. Also, living on campus provides built-in safety features that off-campus apartments often lack – card-access buildings, RAs, working security cameras, plus our own police department. Finally, with a built-in meal plan, this all-inclusive package takes the stress out of day-to-day living for your Tiger, making sure he/she can focus on excelling in their coursework.


I would prefer not to have the meal plan. Can I just live on campus?

All first-year students living on campus are required to have a meal plan by LSU Dining.

All first-year students and upperclassmen and transfer students with less than 60 credit hours living on campus are required to have a meal plan. 

Upperclassmen and graduate students living in on-campus apartments are exempt from the meal plan requirement.

The convenience of having well-balanced, healthy meals available without having to shop, cook or clean allows students to focus on their LSU academic and community experience. In addition to going to classes and studying, eating with other students fosters community and the building of relationships. 


I have made other arrangements and I don’t want to live on campus.

There are exemptions available. Please fill out the exemption request in myLSU with as much detail as possible, as the committee will consider extenuating circumstances. Students who fail to comply with the housing expectation and/or who provide false or misleading information in connection with a request for exemption could be subject to the posting of the lowest published room rental charges for the term of enrollment to the student’s account for each semester in which the student does not comply, and/or subject to the student accountability process, which could include referral to the office of the Dean of Students. 


Can I live in my fraternity/sorority’s Greek house for the housing expectation?

LSU Greek Life does not allow first-year, first-semester students to live in the Greek houses. Any student, including first-year, second-semester students, electing to break the academic-year housing contract with LSU Residential Life to move into a Greek house will incur the stated cancellation penalties.

Back to Top


General Housing Questions

What are the benefits of living on campus?

Living on campus not only provides incredible academic benefits (increased GPA, retention and graduation rates), but it also offers an immediate opportunity for Tigers to make new friends and build a community, which eases the transition between high school and college. Living on campus also provides easy access to faculty members, some of whom actually live in residence halls and are available to assist your student 24/7. Also, living on campus provides built-in safety features that off-campus apartments often lack – card-access buildings, RAs, working security cameras, plus our own police department. Finally, with a built-in meal plan, this all-inclusive package takes the stress out of day-to-day living for your Tiger, making sure he/she can focus on excelling in their coursework.


What is offered for students with a disability?

If you have special housing needs because of a disability, including assistance or service animals, please notify us  and the Office of Disability Services as soon as possible. It is important for us to be aware of your needs as early as possible so we can assist you in obtaining suitable accommodations. Before Res Life can assist students with an American Disabilities Act (ADA) room, they must first have filed the required paperwork with the Office of Disability Services (225-578-5919). For additional information, please contact one of the assignments officers at 225-578-5497.


What is included in the price? What will I have to pay for separately?
Included in your room rate is the cost of your room for one semester, cable television, Internet service (both wired and wireless), and all utilities (electricity, water, gas, trash removal, everything!). You will only have to pay your fee bill for housing, everything is included in this one price.

Meal plans are not included in the rental rates. 


Are microwaves and refrigerators allowed?

Yes. Each student in the residence halls can have a microwave (up to 1000 watts), and a refrigerator (up to five cubic feet). It is a good idea to coordinate with your roommate to work out the details. East & West Campus Apartments all have furnished kitchens with refrigerators. 


Are pets allowed?

Pets are prohibited in all on-campus residence halls, and apartments. The only exception is for fish in 20 gallon aquariums or smaller, or approved assistance or service animals.


Can I get a private room? What will it cost?

As space is available, students can rent a double-occupancy room as a private room for 1.5 times the rent. Contact an Assignments Team member in Grace King Hall for details and availability. 

Do I have to move all of my belongings out of my room during winter break?

Students are not required to remove their belongings from their rooms during the winter break unless they will not be returning for the spring semester. The halls do close over winter break, and students must turn in their keys and vacate the building by the published schedule. Students are, however, required to remove belongings over the summer break. Apartments remain open over winter break and students do not need to remove belongings if they are returning for the spring semester. 


Is there a curfew?

Residents do not have a curfew, but must adhere to the guest and visitation policy. Students' LSU Tiger Card give them access to their community 24/7.


How safe are the halls?

LSU and Residential Life work extensively to provide maximum safety for all of the halls. All of the residence halls are equipped with card access entry systems that are only accessible to that particular hall’s residents. There are three levels of security for every student room: security card access at the front door, card or key access to floor/wing, and card or key access to the student room. LSU Police Department makes frequent rounds to the residential communities, and Res Life has contracted with LSUPD to make additional patrols to the residential communities during the evening hours. There are many security cameras throughout the interiors, exteriors, and parking lots of the residential communities, and many more throughout the campus. Read more details about safety here.  
Back to top


Parking, Dining & Mail

Where do I get my mail and how do I receive packages/deliveries?

All on-campus residents will be charged for and assigned an LSU Box at the UPS Mail & Printing Services office in the Student Union. This charge is incorporated into the residence hall rent charge on the fee bill. To claim your box and key, please visit the LSU Student Union. This box will be able to receive USPS mail, as well as packages from commercial carriers such as Fed Ex and UPS. Students will receive a “pick up” notification via email when a package arrives. Please make sure students bring picture ID to claim packages. If you have questions as it relates to your specific box, please stop by UPS in room 101 of the LSU Student Union.

Resident’s Name
101 LSU Student Union Building
LSU Box #_______
Baton Rouge, LA 70803


Can students receive U.S. mail or commercial packages at their residence hall?

Residential communities will only accept perishable deliveries of fresh cut flowers, cut fruit bouquets, or cookie bouquets. For the safety and security of residents, the residential front desk staff is unable to verify, identify, or disseminate the contact information (including phone numbers) of specific residents. If the delivery agency requires a signature or direct contact with the receiving resident, the aforementioned student’s phone number must have already been provided with the order by the ordering party. After receiving delivery, the front desk worker will notify the resident through their LSU email account that they have a package to pick up at the front desk.

Students should use the following address format when receiving perishables (ONLY those mentioned above):

Student’s name
Room number and residence hall name
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803


Can I have a car on campus?

Yes, but you must register the car, which can be accessed through the link to parking on the LSU home page and pay an annual parking fee, which is usually collected on the fee bill for the fall term. You will receive a parking tag to hang from your rear view mirror at all hours on weekdays (day or night) when parked on campus. In addition, during hours of zoned parking (7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday through Friday), you will be restricted to parking in resident parking zones near the residence halls. Residents can park in ANY lot marked for residents (Zone 3).


Where do I park?

Students living on campus can park in any Zone 3 area, which is in any residence hall lot, both on the east and west sides of campus. Parking is a premium and it is first come, first serve. The LSU campus has plenty of room to park, but not all of it will be close to your destination. Residence hall students usually park in their designated areas and walk from their residence halls to class or dining halls.


Am I required to have a meal plan if I live on campus?

All first-year students and upperclassmen and transfer students with less than 60 credit hours living on campus are required to have a meal plan. 

Upperclassmen and graduate students living in on-campus apartments are exempt from the meal plan requirement.

With a structured housing and dining program, students can focus on their studies and adjusting to and thriving in college life.



Back to top


All About Roommates

Is there a roommate matching service?

Yes, a roommate matching service is available through the online housing portal in myLSU.


What if I don’t like my roommate after I move in? Can I move?

There are designated dates at the beginning of the semester, usually one week after classes begin, where students have the opportunity to change rooms and/or roommates. Changes are made on a space available basis. Additionally, we do allow room changes at any time during the semester as long as we have available space. You must speak with the assignments office to facilitate the change. 

Back to top



Contract Renewal for Current Students

I currently live on campus, so when can I renew my housing contract for the next academic year?
Contract Renewal (CR) takes place each spring and allows current residents to renew their housing contracts and select their housing assignments for the following year.


What is advance rent for continuing students?

The advance rent program is part of Residential Life’s concerted effort to keep apartment and residence hall spaces open and available to those students who are truly serious about staying on campus. This program is a benefit to those who want to remain on campus by keeping spaces available during the contract renewal process.

When current students renew their housing contracts for the following year, $250 of non-refundable advance rent is due at the time of contract renewal. The $250 advance rent payment must be made via credit card* at the time of contract renewal when the assignment is made. (* A $10 processing fee will also be applied to the credit card.)

The entire $250 will be applied toward regular rent. There is no net increase to the amount of rent paid, and no increase to the amount of deposit held. For those students that reserve a space, pay their fee bill, and move into their on-campus housing, it will not cost any more money. However, those that cancel their assignment will forfeit the $250 advance rent amount and are subject to cancellation penalties.


If I have a scholarship that pays my housing costs, do I still have to pay advance rent at contract renewal?

Yes. Scholarship money cannot be applied prior to the applicable semester. Once the scholarship money is transferred to the student fee account, the entire $250 advance rent will be credited back to the student fee account. 


As a second-year (or higher) student, am I required to purchase a meal plan if I live in the apartments or residence halls?

Upperclassmen and transfer students with less than 60 credit hours living in residence halls are also required by LSU Dining to have a meal plan.

Upperclassmen and graduate students living in on-campus apartments are NOT required to have a meal plan.

Please contact LSU Dining at 578-6642 or with questions regarding this policy, and for information on meal plan options.


If live on campus, how long must I stay there?

Students sign an academic-year contract. If your assignment is for spring or summer in a residence hall or East and West Campus Apartments, your contractual obligation is just for that term. 

Back to top


Summer 2018 – Freshman Orientation, Advising and Preregistration Program (FOAP)

Residential Life offers incoming students a chance to experience on-campus living during this freshman orientation program.  If you are interested in staying on campus during your orientation, register and pay for orientation housing when you complete your orientation registration online. 

Housing is only available the night before orientation begins and is only for FOAP participants, not parents or family members. Lodging costs are $40 for a double-occupancy room in which roommates are assigned.  If participants want to request a specific roommate, they should indicate their preference on their registration for orientation.  Costs cover bed and bath linens, a pillow, pillowcase, and blanket.  Toiletries are not provided; participants are encouraged to bring their own essentials from home.

If you did not select orientation housing during your orientation registration, you can add a night of orientation housing.

Request a refund for orientation housing by submitting the form 10 business days in advance of the reservation.


Where do I check-in?

You will check-in at Annie Boyd Hall, the orientation residence hall. 


I reserved housing for my orientation session and I need to switch my orientation session. What do I do to make sure my housing reservation is changed to my new session?

Please call the Experience LSU Office at 225-578-2634 to speak with someone to switch your orientation session. The Experience LSU Office will inform Residential Life you switched your session and Residential Life will update your reservation accordingly.


I did not request a roommate when I signed up for orientation housing. Can I still request a roommate?

Yes, you may email Lynn Livingston at to request your roommate. Please note that all roommate requests must come from the student and requests must be mutual.

If you have any questions or concerns that are not covered above, please feel free to contact Lynn Livingston via email at or by phone at 225-578-4441. 

Back to top


Family Housing


Can I have a car at the Edward Gay Apartments?
Yes; Edward Gay residents will have to trade their commuter tag in for one stating their respective place of residency. This tag allows the same privileges as a commuter tag, but also allows the student to park in his/her apartment complex without being ticketed.


Do I have to move out during the summer and semester breaks?
The apartments are open year round so you do not have to move out at semester break; however, there are separate contracts for the academic year and summer term. If you wish to stay in your apartment for the summer, you must complete the summer application online.


Can my parents live with me?
No. Your parents are allowed to visit you up to 3 months provided they are registered in the apartment office. There is a fee per guest per month. See the handbook linked below for details.


Do you assign roommates?
No. You may have a roommate who meets all eligibility requirements if you choose one but you are 100% responsible for the apartment, any housing charge and your roommate’s conduct.


I need to move out before the semester ends, what happens if I break my contract?
You will pay a penalty for breaking your contract. Review the contract for exact details. If you are still affiliated with LSU your penalty will be 75 percent of the remaining balance of your rent. If you are leaving LSU you will pay a 25 percent penalty.


Can I place my rent on the semester fee bill or do I pay by the month?
Both options are accepted, but changes cannot be made once you choose your option until the following semester.


I will be arriving before my assignment date, where can I stay?
If you will be arriving before your scheduled and confirmed move in date it is your responsibility to find accommodations until your move-in date. Because work is being done in the apartment up until the move in date, we cannot allow early move ins. We do not permit “as is” move ins.


I have been offered a job in my department as a research associate or VPR, can I keep my apartment?
You may keep your apartment only if there are no students on the waiting list. Full-time students take priority.


Is LSU a smoke-free or tobacco-free campus?
Beginning August 1, 2014, LSU is tobacco free, in accordance with the governor’s “Well-Ahead” program. The Louisiana legislature has implemented a smoke-free requirement for all state university property, and all public post-secondary institutions in Louisiana must comply.

Back to Top


Student Conduct

What is the Department of Residential Life’s Student Conduct Office?

The Department of Residential Life’s Student Conduct Office works in collaboration with LSU Student Advocacy & Accountability to maintain the Student Conduct Process for on-campus communities managed by the Department of Residential Life. The Student Conduct Office is also responsible for the recruitment, selection and training of the Department of Residential Life’s Student Conduct Boards.


What is the purpose of sanctioning students who have violated the LSU Code of Student Conduct?
Sanctioning within the Department of Residential Life’s Student Conduct Process is meant to provide students with information about LSU’s policies, living within an on-campus community, and themselves.


What are my rights as a student?
A complete list of the student’s rights and responsibilities is outlined within the LSU Code of Student Conduct.


What happens if I refuse to schedule an appointment prior to the deadline given in the charge letter?

Failing to schedule an appointment prior to the given deadline will result in a HOLD being placed on your records and registration and one of the following actions to be taken:
• Decision to be made in your absence.
• Referral to the University Hearing Panel for adjudication.
• Referral to the Student Advocacy & Accountability for adjudication.


What will the administrative meeting and/or University Hearing Panel hearing be like?

The purpose of the process is to be educational, therefore, the hearing structure for both venues is as follows:
• Introductions of all parties
• Explanation of Students Rights & Responsibilities
• Sharing of all written Incident Reports
• Question and answers with all involved parties
• Discussion to determine responsibility


Can I have an advisor, lawyer, friend, or parent present at the administrative meeting or University Hearing Panel hearing?

All students are allowed to have one advisor present at the time of their administrative meeting or  hearing. The advisor is not allowed to participate in the hearing procedures, but is allowed to be present for moral support. Students are required to inform the Student Conduct Office of their advisors 24 hours in advance of the administrative meeting or University Hearing Panel hearing.


What should I do if I’m being criminally charged for the same incident?

LSU’s Student Conduct Process is separate from the criminal system; therefore all students are responsible for completing both processes.


Will I be removed from LSU housing or dismissed from LSU for this incident?

Incidents that involve potential violations of the LSU Housing Contract and/or the Residential Life Substance-Free policy may result in you being relocated to a different on-campus assignment or removed from on-campus housing. All incidents that may result in suspension or expulsion from LSU are adjudicated by the Office of Student Advocacy and Accountability.


What types of sanctions can be imposed in my case?

The range of educational sanctions utilized within the Student Conduct Process is from a written warning to Deferred Suspension. Sanctions are dependent upon the severity of the incident and the student conduct history of the student. If you fail to complete a sanction by the given deadline, a HOLD will be placed on your records and registration until either completion of the sanction or verification of an extended deadline.


Will LSU notify my parents/guardians about this incident?

LSU retains the right to notify parents/guardians regarding alcohol and/or controlled substances incidents. If deemed necessary, Residential Life will send a letter to the parents/guardians regarding any such incidents.


Will a notation be placed on my transcript regarding this incident?

Only if a student is placed on Deferred Suspension, Suspension, or Expulsion as a sanction.


How long are student conduct files kept in the Student Conduct Office?

The Student Conduct Office keeps student conduct files for seven (7) years after the date of the incident. The Student Conduct Office reserves the right to keep student conduct files longer if it is deemed necessary by either the Office of the Dean of Students or the Department of Residential Life.

Back to Top

Graduate Housing Rent Reduction Stipend

What is the rent reduction stipend?

Residential Life will offer a $3,600 annual rent reduction stipend in Nicholson Gateway Apartments to provide an affordable option for graduate students on assistantships and with a financial need. The $3,600 stipend is applied as $1,440 rent reduction in the fall semester, $1,440 rent reduction in the spring semester, and $720 rent reduction in the summer eligible studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartment units. The stipend is a rent reduction, not a cash award or scholarship that can be applied to other items on the fee bill.


Who qualifies for the Graduate Student Housing Rent Reduction Stipend?

Graduate students on assistantships and/or with a financial need are eligible to apply for the housing stipend. LSU Online students are not eligible for the stipend. 


Can I live in Edward Gay Apartments, East Campus Apartments or West Campus Apartments and use the rent reduction stipend?

No. The housing stipend is only available to students living in eligible apartments in Nicholson Gateway Apartments.


Is this a scholarship?

No, this is not a scholarship or cash award. This is a rent reduction that will show on your fee bill.


Do I have to reapply each year?

Yes, you must reapply each year for the rent reduction stipend.



 Back to Top