Mandatory Student Medical Health Insurance
All non-immigrant international students in F and J student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance and repatriation/medical evacuation coverage while they are enrolled at LSU. This includes part-time and full-time registration. There are no exceptions to the medical health insurance and repatriation/medical evacuation requirements. The medical health insurance policy and repatriation/medical evacuation coverage must meet LSU’s medical health insurance requirements.
Health Insurance Charges and Waivers
F and J international students will be automatically charged for and enrolled in the LSU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) provided by Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare each semester they are enrolled. Students may choose an alternate plan and request to be considered for a waiver of the LSU SHIP, however the alternate plan must meet LSU's medical health insurance requirements, and the online waiver request must be submitted by the semester deadline date.
When proof of other approved medical health insurance is submitted by the online waiver semester deadline, the charges for the LSU policy will be credited. It is estimated that this will take approximately 10 business days for the credit to appear on the student account. F and J students should submit their online insurance waiver requests via the UHC/Gallagher website.
- Your alternate coverage must be effective from August 14, 2022 through January 5, 2023 for the fall 2022 semester. Partial coverage is not accepted.
- The deadline to submit the on-line insurance waiver via the Gallagher website is Friday, September 9, 2022 (Gallagher indicates there will be no exceptions).
- You must submit an online waiver request at the UHC/Gallagher website at the beginning of every semester of registration, regardless of the coverage end date stated on previously submitted waiver requests.
- All F and J students should request an online insurance waiver (if desired), regardless of if the LSU student medical health insurance charge appears on your fee bill every semester you are enrolled in courses at LSU.
Fee Bill Reminders
If you are a student in F or J status, please do not remove or select the LSU plan via MyLSU or online. This will cause errors on the fee bill. You will be automatically billed for insurance on your fee bill every semester you are enrolled in courses at LSU.
Students with F visa status and J visa status will be automatically charged $1204 for the Fall 2022 plan. This charge provides students with medical health insurance and repatriation/medical evacuation coverage from August 14, 2022 through January 5, 2023.
Please note that the 2022-2023 LSU SHIP insurance premiums have changed.
The following students should contact Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare directly at 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare to purchase or continue their LSU medical health insurance coverage since they are NOT automatically charged on their fee bill for LSU SHIP:
- Non-immigrant international students with a visa status other than F and J
- Students who are registered as Degree Only (D.O.) for fall 2022
- Students on F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) or J-1 Academic Training who are not enrolled for credit hours
Notice to LSU Sponsored J Student VISA Holders:
LSU sponsored J student visa holders and their J-2 dependents, if applicable, are required to have adequate medical health insurance and repatriation/medical evacuation coverage for the entire duration of their J program (which includes all dates between semesters). International Services will contact those LSU-sponsored J students who have submitted an online waiver request when it is time for the insurance provider to submit proof of insurance to International Services. After receiving proof of insurance, International Services will verify whether the medical health insurance plans meet U.S. Department of State and University requirements and have the appropriate coverage dates. This review is in addition to the online insurance waiver portal submission. Therefore, this process could take more time. Fee bill credits to J student accounts will not appear until this verification is completed.
Medical Health Insurance Card
It is important that all students print their student medical health insurance card (ID Card) and always keep it with them regardless of insurance provider. LSU SHIP ID cards are usually available 5-7 business days after eligibility is confirmed.
- Go to www.uhcsr.com/MyAccount.
- If you have created a UHCSR Account in the past, log in.
- If you have not created a UHCSR Account, Click “Create Account”.
- Complete the registration form using your name, date of birth, and LSU student ID number.
- Once logged in, you will have access to print ID cards, see claim information, explanation of coverage benefits and other plan related information.
All questions concerning waivers, enrollment of dependents, benefits, claims, or billing problems of LSU insurance should be directed to Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare at: 1-844-288-4920 or by visiting Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare.
Important: If you have LSU’s student medical health insurance, you are required to first report to LSU’s Student Health Center (SHC) to see a doctor (except in the case of a medical emergency or if the center is closed), or your insurance claims will not be covered or paid.