LEAD LSU: Leading Self, Others, and the Organization
The heart of any successful organization is its people. LEAD LSU is a leadership development program designed to enhance the level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of LSU’s most important resources, its employees. The program focuses on building and enhancing leadership skills which support the University’s strategic objectives. The program is open to high performing faculty, unclassified and classified staff members with demonstrated leadership potential.
About LEAD LSU
Formerly known as "LEAD . . . Emerge", Lead LSU is a leadership development program for high performing and emerging leaders at the university. The program focuses on building and enhancing leadership skills which support the University’s strategic objectives. Using self-awareness as a catalyst for professional improvement, the program incorporates a combination of individual and group experiential exercises and class projects designed to teach participants how to be a credible leader who can inspire, influence, and achieve results. The program is open to high performing faculty, unclassified and classified staff members with demonstrated leadership potential.
Participants are nominated by their supervisors or members of University Administration and chosen by a selection committee through careful analysis of nomination essay questions. After the nominator form is completed, each nominee will receive an email notification requesting their responses to a series of questions. To nominate, please complete the Lead Nomination Form. There is a $250 non-refundable fee per chosen participant, which goes towards the cost of assessments and materials.
- Provide participants with a comprehensive view of their personal preferences and style.
- Expose participants to new concepts regarding leadership and management.
- Assist participants in creating a personal development plan.
- Foster continued development through post-program follow-up.
- Build relationships and enhance collaboration across University departments.
- Receive feedback on their personal preference and style utilizing the
- Emergenetics assessment and Emotional Intelligence (EQ) appraisal tools.*
- Discover how to be a credible leader who can inspire, influence, and achieve results.
- Understand the impact of their individual behaviors on the organization and within their own work team.
- Explore their abilities and style in terms of LSU’s leadership/managerial core competencies such as: planning, goal setting, communication, team building, conflict management, coaching, organizational awareness, and managing resources.
- Learn to adapt their leadership style to meet different situations and to embrace diversity and inclusiveness here at LSU.
*The assessments/appraisals used are subject to change.
This leadership development series has been designed to enhance the skills of those newly and recently emerged managers as well as those with prior management experience who wish to enhance their leadership knowledge, skills, and behaviors. Participants learn to lead themselves first, and then to interact more effectively with others, influence better decision making, and take a proactive stance with regards to work opportunities. The LEAD LSU program consists of a series of full-day sessions. In each session, participants take part in an instructor-led and participant-centered lesson which includes self-discovery activities, peer discussions, and group experiential exercises. Throughout the program, participants identify actionable steps for applying what they learn as well as build an individual development plan for continuing their personal and professional development journey.