The Louisiana State University Tuition Exemption Program is one of the most valuable benefits offered to LSU employees. For eligible staff and faculty, this program covers up to 6 credit hours per semester for the traditional program and up to 3 credit hours per module for the online degree program.
Traditional Tuition Exemption
- Full-time employees, system-wide (including faculty), and
- Full-time (100% effort) for at least one year, and
- Approval from immediate supervisor and department head
- Provided for both undergraduate and graduate programs with the exception LSU Veterinary Medicine program, LSU Law program, Certifications, and other higher cost self-supporting programs. The Executive MBA program qualifies for tuition exemption up to the regular covered amount of a graduate program (6 credit hours in fall/spring, 3 credit hours in summer). Please note tuition exemption does not cover fees, including the MBA professional program fee.
- May register for job-related courses or courses being used in pursuit of a degree for up to 6 college credit hours per regular semester.
- May register for job-related courses or courses being used in pursuit of a degree for up to 3 college credit hours for the summer semester.
- Up to 3 clock hours per week per semester may be taken during work time without charge to leave time, if approved by supervisor. If more than 3 hours are during work hours, annual leave must be used along with supervisor approval.
- Exemption can be declined if employee receives two consecutive semesters with below C grades. The next semester must be C’s or higher to regain exemption.
- For details on per credit hour fees, please contact the Registrar Office 225-578-1686.
- All hours as described above are exempt from payment.
- Fees are not exempt (reimbursable) under this program. Employees are still subject to pay all fees associated with the courses they are enrolled.
- Fees can be paid via payroll deduction (over the course of the semester) or deferred payment (2 payments). This is done through your myLSU account, under “Registration Services” and then “Defer pymt/Payr Deduct.”
Online Tuition Exemption
The partial tuition exemption is only available to LSU A&M employees for up to 3 college credit hours per module at the graduate level or 6 college credit hours per module at the undergraduate level. The program is strictly for online degree-seeking programs and is not applicable to ground courses or eligible for a change in modality. Microcreds and professional development programs are not eligible for tuition exemption.
- Full-time LSU A&M employees, and
- Full-time (100% effort) for at least one year prior to application, and
- In good standing (a rating of successful or higher on prior year's Annual Evaluation), and
- Approval from immediate supervisor and department head.
The number of participants will be limited to no more than 20% of the total enrollment per program on a first come, first serve basis. Available spots are limited, so apply today!
- Eligible employees may apply for a partial tuition exemption of 70% of online tuition (not including fees) for job-related undergraduate and graduate online degree programs. Participants are responsible for 30% of tuition costs plus all fees.
- The partial tuition exemption is available to participants for up to 3 college credit hours per module at the graduate level or 6 college credit hours per module at the undergraduate level.
- The number of participants will be limited to no more than 20% of the total enrollment per program on a first come, first serve basis.
- The partial tuition exemption will be available to a participant for each consecutive enrollment through program completion. A participant may be removed from the program if the participant does not maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA per module.
- In exchange for the partial tuition exemption, a participant must enter into an agreement with the University to remain employed with LSU A&M for at least 12 months following completion of the program or withdrawal from the program.
- Any employee participant who voluntarily resigns employment with the University while a participant in the program, or within 12 months of completion of the program or withdrawal from the program, will be obligated to repay some or all of the exempted tuition based on the schedule below:
Any employee who participates in the Online Tuition Exemption Program must sign an
stipulates that part or all of the partial exemption will be returned if the employee chooses not to continue
employment with the University for at least twelve months post-withdrawal or program completion date.
In the event that an employee who received the partial exemption chooses not to continue
employment with the University for at least twelve months post-withdrawal or program
completion date, he/she will be
responsible for reimbursing the University based on the following schedule:
- Flores Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in Education - Educational Technology
- Master of Arts in Education - Higher Education Administration
- Master Arts in Liberal Arts
- Master of Education - Educational Leadership
- Master of Library and Information Science - Archival Studies
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Science in Analytics
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering
- Master of Science in Environmental Science
- Master of Science in Finance
- Master of Science in Industrial Engineering
- Master of Science in Kinesiology - Health Promotion and Sport Performance
- Master of Science in Leadership and Human Resource Development
- Master of Science in Sport Management
- Master of Social Work
- Graduate Certificate in Agricultural Business
- Graduate Certificate in Analytics
- Graduate Certificate in Archival Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Cloud Computing and Machine Learning
- Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity & Risk Management
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Emerging Information Technologies for Business
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental & Energy Policy
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Health Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Modeling & Analysis
- Graduate Certificate in Financial Analytics
- Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Analytics
- Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Health Professions
- Graduate Certificate in Transportation Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Records and Information Management
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Construction Management
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Facilities Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Business Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems and Decision Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in General Business - Business Analytics
- Bachelor of Science in General Business - Digital Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in General Business - HR Management
- Bachelor of Science in General Business - IT Management
- Bachelor of Science in Leadership and Human Resource Development
- Bachelor of Science in Learning Experience Design and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a concentration in Forensic Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Sport Administration - Sport Commerce
- Bachelor of Science in Sport Administration - Sport Leadership
- Undergraduate Certificate in Child Care Administration
- Undergraduate Certificate in Construction Management
To apply now, visit LSU Online or call 1-833-280-5634 for more information.
LSU Online Tuition Exemption Program Repayment Agreement & Terms
Employed less than six (6) months (or less than one semester for employees on Academic pay basis)
Return 100% of exemption
Employed at least six (6) months but less than one year (or at least one semester but less than one academic year for employees on Academic pay basis)
Return 50% of exemption
Instructions for Automated Tuition Exemption Request
- Go to mylsu > click Employee Resources and select Tuition Exemption Request
- The “Employee Information” section will automatically be populated with your information along with your class schedule, you must include enter your phone number.
- You must select your supervisor and department head’s name from the drop-down menu. An
automated e-mail notifies the employee’s supervisor of the request.
- If your immediate supervisor’s name is not in the drop-down menu, you should check the box that says “If your supervisor does not exist or the supervisor choice(s) are incorrect, please check” and contact your department’s HR Contact to have them assign a supervisor for you on HRS.
- If your class schedule requires you to miss more than 3 hours of work per week, you must indicate in the box at the bottom of the screen. You will either submit a modified work schedule or a statement indicating that you will use annual leave to cover any time in excess of the weekly 3 hour allotment.
- Next, you will need to answer the questions retaining to your request.
- Once the supervisor approves the request, the department chair receives an automated e-mail notification. She/he will review and approve the request. Upon approval, HRM will receive the request and processes the completed tuition exemption request.