Master of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Thank you for considering the Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering at Louisiana State University for pursuing a Master of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
All interested applicants must apply online through the LSU Graduate School. Paper applications are no longer used. Please do not send copies of items submitted online to the Graduate School or the Department.
Departmental Application Deadlines
- Fall & Summer - April 1st
- Spring - October 1st
Applications must be complete by the deadlines.
Graduate School Admission Requirements
All accepted applicants must meet the minimum requirements for admission to the Graduate School as well as the Department. Graduate School Admission Requirements are listed on the Graduate School website under "Prospective Student Information" and in the current Graduate Bulletin.
Departmental Admission Requirements
Official test scores must be sent from ETS. The ETS institution code for LSU is 6373.
GRE score - Tests taken prior to August 1, 2011 requires a minimum of 1100 (Verbal plus Quantitative). Tests taken on or after August 1, 2011 requires a minimum of 300 (Verbal plus Quantitative).
TOEFL score (International applicants only). The Department has the same requirements as the Graduate School which is no lower than 550 (paper based test), 213 (computer based test), or 79 (Internet based test).
Three recommendation letters are required by the Department. When applying online, follow the instructions on the application. If the recommendation letters cannot be submitted online then email or mail to the Department's Graduate Studies Coordinator.
Statement of Purpose should be completed with the online application.
A Writing Sample is required by the department.
Overview of the Application Process
- The Department will evaluate your application after you have submitted all required documents.
- An applicant selected for admission by the Department is recommend to the Graduate School, where a final evaluation of the application is conducted by the Graduate Admissions staff. If a student meets the general requirements for admission and the department recommends admission, the student is admitted.
- The Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Department makes a decision on all applications approximately one month after the deadline. Once a decision has been made it will be posted to your application. The Graduate School and Department will not send a notification by mail or email. You can see the decision on your application by logging into your application. At the bottom of the page under Decision Status, click on the link that says "Your application decision is now available online" and a window pops up with the acceptance or rejection letter.
- Note: Applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the Graduate School are not guaranteed admission.