Prospective Graduate Students
Please use the following link to review requirements set by the LSU Graduate School for admission into graduate programs.
Mechanical Engineering Admission Requirements & Application Information
To become an MS or PhD student in the Department of Mechanical Engineering applicants must meet the minimum requirements for admission set by the LSU Graduate School and the department. Applications for admission are evaluated by the department graduate admissions committee on a competitive basis. Each applicant is assessed for success at the graduate level, taking into consideration academic credentials, undergraduate preparation, research skills, industry experience, recommendations, GRE scores, TOEFL scores (for international students whose native language is not English), and any other information that can contribute to the review. Program admission is also dependent on the availability of department funding, office/laboratory space, and faculty interest.
The minimum department admission requirements are listed below. Please note that meeting these requirements does not guarantee program admission.
Departmental Admission Requirements
Official test scores must be sent from ETS. The ETS institution code for LSU is 6373.
- GRE score - Although GRE scores are not required, they will be considered in the review process and thus are highly encouraged.
- TOEFL score (International applicants only). The Department has the same requirements as the Graduate School which is no lower than 550 (paper based test), 213 (computer based test), or 79 (Internet based test).
- Three recommendation letters are required by the Department. When applying online, follow the instructions on the application.
- Statement of Purpose should be completed with the online application.
- A writing sample is required by the department.
- A completed Graduate School application
Departmental Application Deadlines
- Fall & Summer - April 1st
- Spring - October 1st
Applications must be complete by the deadlines.
- The Department will evaluate your application after you have submitted all required documents.
- An applicant selected for admission by the Department is recommend to the Graduate School, where a final evaluation of the application is conducted by the Graduate Admissions staff. If a student meets the general requirements for admission and the department recommends admission, the student is admitted.
- The Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Department makes a decision on all applications approximately one month after the deadline. Once a decision has been made it will be posted to your application. The Graduate School and Department will not send a notification by mail or email. You can see the decision on your application by logging into your application. At the bottom of the page under Decision Status, click on the link that says "Your application decision is now available online" and a window pops up with the acceptance or rejection letter.
- Note: Applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the Graduate School are not guaranteed admission.