Family Experience Monthly Updates
Below are LSU Olinde Career Center excerpts from the monthly Family Experience Newsletter.
The new year brings a busy season of on-campus recruiting events and career opportunities for students including the Career Expo on Feb. 7, on-campus interviews and more.
Does your student have professional attire “and all the trimmings” like shoes, shirts, belts, ties and other accessories to carry them into a bright new year? Perhaps gift giving for your student might include something very practical that also prepares them with a professional image to ensure confidence and success.
If your student is a senior graduating this year, or a sophomore or junior seeking a summer internship, this is a very good time to prepare and polish up their wardrobe.
Suit Up with JCPenney, Jan. 28
The LSU Olinde Career Center is partnering with JCPenney for the second Suit Up event, scheduled for January 28 from 6:30 - 10 p.m. at Mall of Louisiana JCPenney. Last semester, the event attracted 700 LSU students who were able to purchase business attire at a 70% discount during hours open only to LSU students.
Networking for the Holidays
For students of any level, the holidays are a wonderful time to network and learn about careers while mixing and mingling with family, neighbors and friends. Encourage your student to be career-minded in conversations to make the most of holiday gatherings.
Our office will be open during regular hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. throughout the winter break except from December 22 through January 2, when the university is closed. Students who are in the area are encouraged to schedule an appointment to meet with our counselors and career coaches during this time.
November is Career Month in Louisiana!
The LSU Olinde Career Center has 3 suggestions for you to assist your student:
- This month students will be registering for summer and fall classes. If your student is struggling in their major, or not sure where that degree will take them, then it’s time to consider options. The Career Center is here to help with career guidance and assessments accessible on our website or through one-on-one career counseling appointments.
- Did you know employers are now hiring for summer internships and the best opportunities will soon be gone? Have your student save the date for the upcoming Summer Jobs Fair, Tuesday, February 20, 2017. Resources for your student: Students can schedule appointments with our job search coaches for help with finding jobs and internships, resume writing and mock interviews. Or check out Careers2Geaux for job postings, and more.
Is graduate or professional school a possibility? Our staff and web resources can help your student through the self-evaluation and application process to make a great choice.
Check It Out, and Check It Off!
Did you know that your student should be following the Four Year Career Plan? Here are some guidelines for your student to Check It Out and Check It Off for career success:
- Assess - If your student is undecided about a college major or is struggling in a major, now is the time to take action! Career Assessments are available free of charge or for a greatly reduced student rate of $10 each. Career counseling and coaching appointments are free!
- Gain Experience - October is a good time to explore and apply for internships. Yes, it may seem surprising, but many of the best summer internships are scooped up in October and November!
- Develop a Strategy - Students planning to graduate in December or May should be well along the job search path. Our career counselors and coaches offer job search strategy sessions, resume critiques and interview preparation appointments for those entering the job search and a graduate school workshop series for those planning to attend graduate or professional school. The Get into Grad School Workshop Series is open to students at all levels.