Message from President
Members of the LSU Community,
Maxwell Gruver’s death was a tragedy not only for his family, but for the entire LSU community. Surrounding allegations of hazing are troubling and not to be taken lightly. The University’s position on this has been clear from the start: hazing is dangerous and unacceptable, and it will not be tolerated on this campus.
To address any issues within individual Greek organizations or our overarching culture, I am empaneling a Task Force on Greek Life. This group is charged with ensuring that LSU provides a safe and educationally beneficial environment to all students participating in Greek and student organizations. The Task Force will look deeply into our Greek community, the University structures and policies that support it, and the strengths and weaknesses that define it.
Mr. Rob Stuart, LSU alumnus and highly respected member of the Baton Rouge community, has agreed to serve as chair. We are confident that his perspective and leadership will yield results that benefit the entire student body.
The President’s Task Force on LSU Greek Life will examine the major aspects of Greek Life on the LSU campus including:
- Overall University governance and oversight of Greek organizations;
- Current practices surrounding the internal governance and accountability of Greek organizations by campus councils (i.e., IFC, PHC, NPHC), chapter advisors, alumni, and chapter house corporations;
- Current practices surrounding recruitment and education of new Greek organization members (i.e., “pledging”);
- Current policies and practices surrounding social, educational, and other activities engaged in by both LSU Greek organizations (on- and off-campus) and other student organizations; and,
- Other aspects of LSU Greek Life as identified by the Task Force.
The Task Force shall collect information, review documents, and solicit testimony from Greek organizations and other subject matter experts as necessary to address these topics. In addition, research will be conducted on national best practices. The Task Force will provide a final report and recommendations to me by January 30, 2018.
All members of the community who have information that might benefit the investigation are encouraged to share it with the Task Force at email@example.com.
Task Force Membership
- Rob Stuart, Chair
- Dan Layzell, Vice Chair
- Jason Badeaux, Student Government President
- Kenneth McMillin, Faculty Senate President
- Mari Fuentes-Martin, Dean of Students
- Verge Ausberry, Athletics Department Representative
- Mason Tusa, Interfraternity Council President
- Anesha Pink, National Pan-Hellenic Council President
- Madison Hopper, Panhellenic Council President
- Camille Flint, Residence Hall Association President
- BJ Billeaudeau, Kappa Sigma House Corporation Representative
I am asking the campus community to support and contribute to the Task Force’s work. Please provide any information requested and offer suggestions to the Task Force that may be beneficial to the outcome.
F. King Alexander