Requirements for Political Science Majors
These requirements apply to students entering LSU in Fall 2016 and later. Scroll down for the requirements in place for those enrolled before Fall 2016
These requirements are in addition to the general degree requirements for the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The undergraduate must take these requirements:
- Majors must take a minimum of 33 hours of political science course work
- a minimum of 18 of these hours at the 3000-level and above
- Course work in Political Science must be divided as follows: 12 hours in one field in the student's primary field (American, Comparative, International, or Theory)
- 6 hours in each of two other fields
- 9 hours (or more)of political science electives, which may be distributed among any fields
Courses listed under more than one field may be applied to only one field. Students must earn a minimum grade-point average of 2.00 in Political Science courses.
Political Science majors are required to take POLI 2051 or 2052.
American Government and Politics
- American Government & Politics, General (2051, 2052,4000, 4026, 4028)
- Political Behavior (2030, 4030, 4031, 4032, 4034)
- Public Law and Jurisprudence (4020, 4021, 4023)
- Public Policy (2070, 4011, 4038)
- State, Urban, and Local Government (2056, 4015, 4039)
- Governmental Institutions & Policy-Making (4035, 4036)
Comparative Government and Politics
- Comparative Politics, General (2053, 4046, 4060, 4062, 4063, 4064)
- Western Europe (4074, 4075, 4076)
- Latin America (4065)
- Russia and Eastern Europe (4070, 4072)
- Asia (4067, 4079)
- Africa (4078)
- Middle East (4059, 4061)
International Politics and Law
- International Politics (2057, 4040, 4044, 4046, 4047, 4048, 4049, 4050)
- International Law and Organization (4041, 4042)
- Foreign Policy (4043, 4059)
- Political Theory, General (2060, 4022, 4090, 4097, 4098, 4234)
- History of Political Thought (4081, 4082)
- Contemporary Political Thought (4096)
American Political Thought (4080)
POLI 1001, 2001, 3901, 3909 and 4001 may not be counted toward fulfilling field distribution requirements, but may be counted toward the 9 hours of political science electives. Readings courses (4996, 4997) are taken only with the permission of instructor only and are assigned to fields appropriate to their content.
General Degree Requirements: Humanities and Social Sciences: Bachelor of Arts
Minimum grade-point average of 2.0 on all work taken in the LSU system and on all work taken. Minimum grade-point average of 2.0 in the major field on all work taken at LSU and elsewhere. Minimum of 120 semester hours of degree credit.
Minimum of 30 semester hours in courses numbered 3000 or above. (45 hours for the General Studies Major, 15 of which must be 4000 level.)
Minimum of 15 semester hours in residence in major field, including at least 9 hours in courses numbered 3000 or above.
Minimum of 30 semester hours in residence in the college. The last year of work (last 30 semester hours) will be taken in residence in this college on the LSU campus.