LEAD LSU: Leading Self, Others, and the Organization
The heart of any successful organization is its people. LEAD LSU is designed to enhance the level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of LSU’s most important resources, its employees. Teaching, learning, and empowering the transfer of knowledge; for the professional administrators chosen to participate in LEAD LSU, leadership beckons.
About LEAD LSU
Formerly known as LEAD . . . Emerge, Lead LSU is a leadership development program for high performing and emerging leaders at the university. The program focuses on building and enhancing leadership skills which support the University’s strategic objectives. Using self-awareness as a catalyst for professional improvement, the program incorporates a combination of individual and group experiential exercises and class projects designed to teach participants how to be a credible leader who can inspire, influence, and achieve results. The program is open to high performing faculty, unclassified and classified staff members with demonstrated leadership potential.
Participation in this program will:
- Provide participants with a comprehensive view of their personal preferences and style.
- Expose participants to new concepts regarding leadership and management.
- Assist participants in creating a personal development plan.
- Foster continued development through post-program follow-up.
- Build relationships and enhance collaboration across University departments.
During this program, participants:
- Receive feedback on their personal preference and style utilizing the Emergenetics assessment and Emotional Intelligence (EQ) appraisal tools.
- Discover how to be a credible leader who can inspire, influence, and achieve results.
- Explore their abilities and style in terms of LSU’s leadership/managerial core competencies such as: planning, goal setting, communication, teambuilding, conflict management, coaching, organizational awareness, and managing resources.
- Understand the impact of their individual behaviors on the organization and within their own work team.
- Learn to adapt their leadership style to meet different situations and to embrace diversity and inclusiveness here at LSU.
This leadership development series has been designed to enhance the skills of those newly and recently emerged managers as well as those with prior management experience who wish to enhance their leadership knowledge, skills, and behaviors. Participants learn to lead themselves first, and then to interact more effectively with others, influence better decision making, and take a proactive stance with regards to work opportunities. The LEAD LSU program consists of a series of full-day sessions. In each session, participants take part in an instructor-led and participant-centered lesson which includes self-discovery activities, peer discussions, and group experiential exercises. Throughout the program, participants identify actionable steps for applying what they learn as well as build an individual development plan for continuing their personal and professional development journey.
The program consists of full day sessions focused on one of the three major areas of leadership excellence:
- demonstrating ethics and integrity
- displaying drive and purpose
- exhibiting leadership stature
- increasing your capacity to learn
- managing yourself
- increasing self-awareness
- developing adaptability
- communicating effectively
- developing others
- valuing diversity and difference
- building and maintaining relationships
- managing effective teams and work groups
Leading the Organization
- managing change
- solving problems and making decisions
- managing politics and influencing others
- taking risks and innovating
- setting vision and strategy
- managing the work
- understanding and navigating the organization
2018 Meeting Dates
- January 17th (Welcome Breakfast)
- January 26th
- February 9th
- March 9th
- April 6th
- May 4th
- June 1st
- July 13th
- August 10th
- August 11th
- August 14th (Graduation)
Participants are nominated by their supervisors or members of University Administration and chosen by a selection committee through careful analysis of nomination essay questions. To nominate an employee for LEAD LSU, please visit the LEAD LSU nomination portal and complete the nominator form. After the nominator form is completed, each nominee will receive an email notification requesting their responses to a series of questions.