The Graduate School administers a dissertation fellowship as well as a fellowship enrichment award for those students who receive fellowships from entities outside of the university system.
Fall 2017/Spring 2018 Awards: March 17, 2017 by 4 pm
NEW: All nominations must be submitted by the department using our online system.
Nominating department’s internal deadline for nominations will be earlier. It is to
the applicant’s advantage to submit materials for this fellowship as early as possible.
Departments must evaluate and select the top nominations for submission to the Graduate
- Fall/Spring award: $18,000
- Spring/Summer award: $12,600
- The award is valid for the contract period or until the student graduates, whichever
- Students must maintain full-time enrollment in dissertation hours to receive the award.
Enrollment in classes other than dissertation hours is not allowed.
- Students are exempt from tuition and non-resident fees (if applicable).
- Students are responsible for paying all other applicable fees.
- Teaching and other employment is prohibited while holding this fellowship.
- Students cannot hold other graduate fellowships, assistantships, or awards while on
- Minimum GPA of 3.50.
- Must have already passed a milestone exam in your department at the time of application. Examples
include General Exam, Comprehensive Exam or specialty exam.
- Must have finished all required course work and be writing the dissertation.
- Must enroll in 9 dissertation credit hours during fall and spring and 6 hours during
summer (if receiving the spring/summer award).
- Must work full time towards the completion of the dissertation.
Nomination Procedures and Required Materials
Students who wish to apply for the Dissertation Fellowship should submit the following
to the nominating department:
- A statement written by the student briefly outlining the significance of their study,
their role in the development of the topic, and their timeline for completion of the
dissertation within one year if funded. Indicate whether the dissertation proposal
has been submitted, and if the writing has begun, include a current word count. Limit
to two pages, 10 pt. font.
- A list of honors, awards, publications and presentations during their graduate student
career. Publications and presentations should name all co-authors in order of contribution
level. Limit to one page, 10 pt. font.
The nominating department will compile the following documents:
- Student’s statement
- List of publications, presentations, honors, and awards
- Three letters of recommendation. One-page letters of support from the major professor
and two other dissertation committee members outlining the candidate’s qualities,
and the contribution the dissertation makes to the area of study. The major professor
should also assess the likelihood of completion of the dissertation within the fellowship
All nominations must be submitted by the nominating department to the Graduate School via our online submission portal. Departments will be sent
information about the online submission process.
Back to Top
Fellowship Enrichment Awards
The Graduate School is accepting applications for the National and International Individual
Fellowship Enrichment Awards. These awards will be granted to graduate student recipients
of national or international fellowships from organizations outside of the LSU system in order to make these prestigious fellowships more competitive with graduate assistantships
on campus. The program will also promote an entrepreneurial spirit among existing
graduate students by encouraging them to apply for national or international fellowships
outside of the LSU system. These awards will be primarily used to fund educational
costs not covered by the competitive fellowship.
The National and International Individual Fellowship Enrichment Awards will be in
one of the following two categories:
- tuition awards (up to $10,000 per year) OR
- non-resident fee awards (up to $20,000 per year).
The actual amount of each award will be the remainder of charges after all other fellowships/awards
are applied, up to the maximum amount listed above. The award does not waive student
fees, only tuition and/or the non-resident fee.
The National and International Individual Fellowship Enrichment Awards are for one
year. If the fellowship has a second year, the award is renewable for a second year
contingent upon satisfactory progress towards the degree. Students may not receive
more than two years of total funding through this award.
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis. It is in the student's best interest
to apply as soon as he or she receives confirmation of the fellowship.
- Be a recipient of national or international fellowship from an entity outside of the LSU system that is clearly defined and accepted by LSU (including explicit sources for tuition
exemptions if required by the granting entity).
- The fellowship must be from a single source that carries a stipend equal to or greater
than the minimum graduate assistantship stipend in the home department and includes
no less than 50% effort (20 hours a week).
- If the fellowship is international, it must comply with the rules and regulations
of the LSU's International Programs.
- Must enroll full-time (9 credit hours during fall and spring and 6 hours during summer
(if required by the fellowship).
- Must be in good standing (at least a 3.00 GPA) and make regular progress towards the
Note: Students who have an assistantship, award, or fellowship through LSU do not
qualify for this award.
Application Process and Required Materials
Students who wish to apply for the fellowship enrichment award should apply online
through InfoReady. Email addresses of all relevant parties must be added to the application (major
professor, graduate advisor, department chair, etc.)
The application must include the following:
- A description of the fellowship including the stipend, tuition and fee coverage or
waivers, cost of research allowances.
- A contract or letter of offer.
- A letter of support from the home department, including a description of how that
department will support the fellow.
- A current CV.
Back to Top