MSW Admission Requirements
School of Social Work admission requirments for ALL programs are the same. The following requirements must be completed prior to admission to the Full time, Part time, Advanced Standing and MSW Online programs:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university;
- Demonstration of a liberal arts undergraduate preparation through completion of at least 12 credit hours in the social and behavioral sciences (psychology, sociology, anthropology, human geography, economics, political science, curriculum & instruction, etc.), and at least 9 hours in the humanities (literature, languages, history, women’s studies, art or music history, philosophy, cultural and comparative studies, communication studies, etc.);
- “C” or better in an introductory statistics course in any undergraduate department; this course cannot be taken concurrently with MSW courses;
- A 3.0 cumulative grade point average on undergraduate or graduate course work;
- Minimum of 2.55 cumulative or last 60 hours gpa for probationary admission;
- Evidence that the applicant possesses the personal qualities and aptitudes essential for the social work profession;
- A genuine interest in people and emotional stability.
The deadline for receipt of completed admission materials:
March 1 - - Baton Rouge Advanced Standing applicants must apply to the LSU Graduate School and School of Social Work. Start date/Entry date is for the summer semester
March 31 - - Baton Rouge Full time and Part time applicants must apply to the LSU Graduate School and School of Social Work. Start date/Entry date is for the fall semester
Transfer students from another MSW program must contact Associate Director Chiasson to determine course equivalency, deadline date, and start date.
MSW Online students should apply by the set deadlines as here.