In 1926, LSU began offering summer courses in library science, and in 1931 the Board of Supervisors established the Graduate School of Library Science. The name was changed to the School of Library & Information Science (SLIS) in 1981. Through 1958, the Bachelor of Science in Library Science degree was awarded to 725 students. The Master of Science program began in 1951, the Master of Library Science in 1973, and the Master of Library and Information Science in the fall of 1986. The program of study in library and information science has been continuously accredited by the appropriate accrediting authority throughout its history. The Master of Library and Information Science degree program is currently accredited by the American Library Association.
In 2012, SLIS joined with the School of Education, the School of Leadership & Human Resource Development, the School of Kinesiology, the School of Social Work and the K-12 University Laboratory School to form the College of Human Sciences and Education.