The LSU Early Childhood Education Laboratory Preschool is committed to fostering high quality research while protecting the children and families we serve.
We therefore adhere to the ethical guidelines outlined by LSU and NIH for research with human subjects. We have established the following procedures in relation to this goal. Individuals wishing to conduct research should:
- Step 1. Submit a research request: LSU Early Childhood Education Laboratory Preschool Research Request Proposal and provide evidence of IRB Approval. Requests may be submitted to researchECELP@lsu.edu. Please note proposals require at least two weeks for review.
- Step 2. Requests are reviewed by the ECE Lab Preschool Research Review Committee. The following
are considered by the review committee:
Feasibility of proposed methods within the context
Safety/well-being of child participants
Project timeline and preschool program goals
Level of required family involvement
Impact of the research on classroom schedules and space
- Step 3. After receiving project approval from the ECE Lab Preschool Research Review Committee, you must complete the required background check. Complete steps as required by the
review panel that may include:
- Schedule time with the director to plan for recruitment, training of staff and research to be conducted as directed by the review panel
- Schedule a training session
- Be available to respond to questions and concerns raised by parents
Upon completion of your project, a summary of research results should be sent to the Research Advisory Board (researchECELP@lsu.edu), parents of participating children, and/or participating teachers. A sample letter is below.
Please note that all researchers/data collectors who come into the center must complete the State Central Registry Disclosure form, which will be kept on site at the ECELP. Researchers/data collectors that engage in any interaction with children must also pass a state background check. This is conducted at the State Police Headquarters, 7919 Independence Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA. This process typically takes three to five business days. We must have your completed background check prior to the start of data collection.