Engineering Dean Search Well Underway
In June, LSU formally launched a national search to hire the next dean of its College of Engineering. Over the past several months, committee members have vetted applicants, conducted Skype interviews and are now in the process of hosting four candidates for on-campus interviews. Below is a timeline of events leading up to the on campus interviews.
July 2016: Executive Vice President and Provost Rick Koubek appointed an 11-member search committee that includes faculty and staff from the College of Engineering as well as other campus leadership. Members are:
- Matt Lee, Vice Provost for Academic Programs and Support Services, Office of Academic Affairs
- Fred Aghazadeh, Professor of Industrial Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- John Pardue, Environmental Engineering Undergraduate Program Coordinator, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Karsten Thompson, Department Chair, Department of Petroleum Engineering
- Isa Nahmens, Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering, Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
- Jonathan Shi, Professor, Bert S. Turner Department of Construction Management
- Ami McGucken, Assistant Dean for Administration
- Theda Daniels Race, Professor, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Bill Richardson, LSU Vice President for Agriculture and Dean of the College of Agriculture
- Gary Wooley, Chair, Dean’s Advisory Committee, College of Engineering
- Leah Sanders, Engineering Student Representative
July 2016: The position profile and invite for applications and nominations was aggressively promoted throughout a number of higher education mediums including: higher education publications, a variety of engineering specific advertisements, 250 recruiting emails to sitting deans, associate deans, research directors/fundraisers and sourcing prospective candidates from faculty referrals.
October 2016: The search committee reviewed the applicants and made a unanimous decision to invite 15 candidates for Skype interviews.
November 2016: The search committee narrowed down the search to four candidates for on campus interviews. They are:
Michael Kessler of Washington State University
Campus interview dates: November 14-15, 2016
Judy Wornat of Louisiana State University
Campus interview dates: November 17-18, 2016
Christine Grant of North Carolina State University
Campus interview dates: November 28-29, 2016
Gilda Barabino of The City University of New York
Campus interview dates: December 5-6, 2016
Upon conclusion of the on campus interviews, the committee plans to make a recommendation for the Executive Vice President and Provost’s consideration.